Recharging Philae Lander
Philae Lander sits in a shadow on comet 67P and its battery is drained. How difficult would it be to aim a laser (or mirrored sunlight) from Earth that would track the motion of Philae and top up its battery?
Of course at the moment we do not know where on the comet Philae is, but it is surely just a question of time before it is located by the imaging systems on the mother Rosetta craft.
Don't shoot me for this question. It might be more doable than another 10-year Rosetta-like mission...
One other option is to wait and see. As the comet moves through space, on its journey around the Sun, the sunlight conditions might improve. It will have the equivalent of seasons, and this could play to Philae's advantage by altering the angle, timing and intensity of the sunlight hitting the solar panels.
The brave little probe eventually did wake up, on Sunday, June 14, 2015!
- Philae (spacecraft)
- Rosetta mission: Philae comet lander pictures its target
- Egyptian Philae obelisk revealed anew
- Rosetta: Battery will limit life of Philae comet lander
- Comet lander: Future of Philae probe 'uncertain'
- Philae comet lander sends more data before losing power
- The Philae Lander sits in a shadow on comet 67P and its battery is drained. How difficult would it be to aim a tracking laser (or mirrored sunlight) from Earth at Philae to top up its battery?
- Tomáš Fülöpp
- Philae comet lander: Sleep well little probe
- Comet lander: First pictures of Philae 'bounce' released
- Comet lander: Camera sees Philae's hairy landing
- Comet landing: Where next for Philae mission?
- Comet landing: Organic molecules detected by Philae
- Comet landing: UK team's data bonanza from Philae
- Philae comet landing 'all a blur'
- Philae comet lander eludes discovery
- Tomáš Fülöpp
- Controllers now banking on Philae wake-up call
- 'Best candidates' for lost Philae comet lander
- Philae comet lander wakes up, says European Space Agency
- Comet robot Philae phones home again
- Controllers wait on Philae link
- Comet lander Philae renews contact
- Philae comet lander: The plucky robot is back
- Philae comet lander falls silent
- Philae: Lost comet lander is found
ENGLISH ARTICLEFEBRUARY 24, 2024 AT 23:05:16 UTC